Sunday, June 22, 2014

Summer Adventures: VBS

We had a blast with Vacation Bible School!  This year's theme was "Weird Animals: Where Jesus Love is One of a Kind."  I loved it.  It was all about God making us all different, and embracing those differences. 

This is the first year I've gotten to volunteer at VBS as a regular ol' person in the congregation, not as a music staff member, and it was a lot of fun!  I volunteered for the craft area, which ended up being more "science experiments" than crafts, but thankfully, I had an engineer helper in my room who was fantastic. 

Every night before VBS geared up, the church served dinner for the families working and attending.  I got to eat great all week without cooking!  The kitchen crew went above and beyond, not only cooking wonderful meals, but putting in place a "Mom crew" to help those of us that were single parenting that night or had more kids than hands, etc.  What a blessing that was! 

Even though WP was a little too young for actual VBS, the nursery was also in full swing, so he got to go with me every night and play with his church friends.  Since he is home with me in the summer and not at daycare, I really loved that he got some social interaction.  Every night he went into opening assembly with me where we got to sing and dance (I sang, he danced) as well. 

Our VBS is over (thank goodness!), but there are still many going on this summer.  Take your kids!  Volunteer!  You'll get to know the people in your church much better, and even if the kids are too young to know what's going on, they associate church with fun and getting loved on, and that's a good start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment